Friday, April 29, 2016

The Dangers Lie Everywhere

Another carbon monoxide scare happened a couple of days ago. Most reported occurances are from individuals in
residential situations, however in this instance it was a London office and its workers that were effected.

Five business people were taken to hospital after a carbon monoxide leak sparked the evacuation of a luxury Mayfair office block.

Hedge fund managers, art experts and property developers were all evacuated from the Grade II listed office at 9 Clifford Street at around 5pm yesterday after investigators found high levels of the dangerous gas emanating from a faulty boiler.

Ten people fled a basement conference room after reporting the smell before firefighters ordered a further 50 people to leave the £38million office block on the upmarket street just off Savile Row.

Other workers on the street were instructed by the Fire Brigade to stay inside their buildings or escape from any rear facing exits during the commotion.

Read more from the

All 5 people were evacuted without any problems, although getting treated for possible CO poisoning is important. It does not matter if you think you are alright, getting a medical check as a precaution will still be necessary.

Treating carbon monoxide poisoning

You will need oxygen therapy treatment in hospital if you have been exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide, or have symptoms that suggest exposure.

Oxygen therapy involves breathing in 100% oxygen through a tight-fitting mask (normal air contains about 21% oxygen). Breathing in concentrated oxygen enables your body to quickly replace carboxyhaemoglobin.

Read more about this from the

Carbon Monoxide is impossible to detect without some kind of device that monitors levels in the air. Having a carbon monoxide alarm is the best way to warn of potential problems, about alarms. The following article describes why the gas is so dangerous and how it is produced.

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. According to the HSE statistics every year around 7 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.

There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:

yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame)
soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
pilot lights that frequently blow out
increased condensation inside windows

Continue reading this

You have to be alert and aware of potential carbon monoxide poisoning in all situations, not just in your living environment. Whether you are at work or on holiday, anywhere where this is a fuel burning appliance there is a potential issue with carbon monoxide gas. Be alert, be aware.

from WordPress
from Tumblr

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Admitted To Hospital For CO Poisoning

Most of us understand the dangers that carbon monoxide can bring yet there are still instances of carbon monoxide poisoning reported in the news.

Most of these news reports are, unfortunately of tragedies that have occured but it must be noted that there are a numerous more instances of CO poisoning that do not result in death and which do not get reported in mainstream media.

Many sufferers are treated in time and there are a few instances recently that end on a happy note.

A mother and her four-year-old son needed hospital treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to a home off the Crescent, near Marlow Road, in Maidenhead at about 2pm after the carbon monoxide alarm had started sounding and the pair had begun to feel unwell.

A crew from Maidenhead evacuated the property and gave them oxygen, before paramedics arrived with a breath analyser and took them to hospital.

They have apparently both now returned home.

A carbon monoxide monitor was also sent out from Reading, which recorded carbon monoxide levels of between 40 and 80 parts per million in the house. Any level above zero is considered unsafe.

The National Grid was contacted to isolate the gas supply from the house, which was then ventilated.

To read the full new article,

This mother and son, fortunately, had a lucky escape and are happily back home. The correct procedures have been carried out and with the property safe, they returned home. A carbon monoxide detector will have been installed and this should prevent this family going through such worry again. You can find out more about CO symptoms .

In the U.S recently there was another report of 3 people being admitted to hospital:

Three people from a residential high-rise downtown were taken to a hospital late Monday night as fire crews determined the building had a carbon monoxide leak.

The 15-story building in the 500 block of North Akard Street had to be evacuated late Monday night after residents smelled an “unknown odor.” Carbon monoxide is odorless, but there may have been other fumes in the building.

The exact location of the leak was not found, but hazardous materials crews believe it had something to do with the heating, ventilation and air conditioning for the building, Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said.

Three people suffering from breathing problems were taken to a hospital. The most common symptoms from carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.

Read the full article from the

Again, a lucky escape but these, happy outcomes can also, quickly turn to tragic outcomes which is why any kind of
monitor is required in every property that has or is in the viscinity of any fuel burning appliance.

from WordPress
from Tumblr

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Video About Poisoning

This is a video about carbon monoxide poisoning and how it effects you. It is good to know how you are effected, how you may feel and what symptoms to look out for. If you are aware of the effects that exposure to co gas brings then you can react […]

from WordPress

from Tumblr